Don’t Just Survive the Holidays. Thrive Through Them…
Still battling a post-Thanksgiving Tofurky trance? A mashed potato murk? A pumpkin pie high? Instead of waiting for January to climb back up on the healthy wagon and out of the food fog, why not start now? Mitigate the mayhem of the season and bump up the body love fest with these 6 simple tips:
- Persist with fitness. It is all too easy to let your routine slip to the sidelines with traveling, festivities, and busier schedules that are typical this time of year. But that is why it is even more important to stay the course and squeeze it in. However you can, make it happen. Turn social gatherings into bonding fit fests by going for a walk or taking an exercise class together, or doing yoga in the living room before a meal or first thing in the morning. Social support is superb in stick-to-it-ness. Try literally entering your workout onto your calendar weeks (or at least days) ahead of time to ensure it happens.
- Start with fruits or veggies at every meal. Since fruits and veggies both offer the fewest calories per gram than any other foods and are high in satiating fiber, these are the ideal items to preferentiate at every meal. Studies have found that starting your meal with a piece of fruit, salad, or soup decreases overall caloric intake at a meal.
- Prioritize the 6 daily 3’s:
- 3 servings of leafy green vegetables (1 serving equals 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked and include options such as asparagus, bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, dandelion greens, green beans, kale, any type of lettuce, sea vegetables, etc.)
- 3 servings of legumes (1 serving equals 1/2 cup of any bean, lentil, pea, or soy foods)
- 3 servings of fruits (1 serving equals 1 medium piece or 1 cup)
- 3 servings nuts and seeds (1 servings equals 1/2 ounce or 30 grams)
- 3 servings other colored vegetables (1 serving equals 1/2 cup)
- 3 servings exercise (1 serving equals 20 minutes of activity)
- Predict, plan, and prepare. Know where your next meal will be and make arrangements to have healthy options wherever that may be. Traveling? Here are some Healthy Travel Tips. Dining out? Here are my Top 5 Tips for Dining Out. Visiting friends or family? Ask to bring a wholesome dish or two for yourself and to share.
- Opt out instead of pushing portion control. Sometimes just saying “no” is so much easier. Otherwise, that first bite of hyperpalatable food stimulates the hormonal cascade that kicks in and seduces you into “just one more bite”…and “one last one”…and on and on down that rabbit hole.
- Discover and experiment with healthier indulgences. Swap date paste or pure maple syrup for sugar in recipes, try aquafaba instead of egg whites in meringue-like dishes or other egg substitutes in any type of recipe, and use fruit and vegetable purées instead of oil.
Most importantly, embrace this special time of year and savor the love that comes from taking care of yourself psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually as well as physically…
Wishing you a very healthy, happy holiday season!
The post Six Simple Tips to Stay Healthy Through the Holiday Season appeared first on Plant Based Dietitian.
In this previous post filled with meal plans and hundreds of wholesome recipes, there leaves no question that there are infinite delectable dish options on a plant-based diet. The other crucial part of this lifestyle is that eating this way does not have to be challenging. At all. In fact, it can be super simple. With a sprinkle of creativity and a twist of courage, you can whip up a meal that is healthy, delicious, quick, low in cost, and (yes!) made with five ingredients or less!
Here are 50 – yes 50 (!) – oil-free, sugar-free, whole food, plant-based recipes that can be made with five or fewer ingredients from breakfast through dessert:
***Note: I did not count herbs, spices, or other seasonings in this roundup because those are optional and the easiest addition to anything, as it is just a dash or sprinkle here or there. I also excluded other optional ingredients or garnishes in the “five” for a few of these because they were too good not to be included and still just as simple as the rest…
1. Chocolate Crispy Fruit Squares from The Vegiterranean Diet
2. Green Chia Pudding by Veggies Save the Day
3. 3-Ingredient Vegan Pancakes by Green Evi
4. Easy Oil-Free Granola by Feasting on Fruit
5. BLT Savory Oatmeal (*Omit Oil*) by The Mostly Vegan
6. Instant Pot Buckwheat Porridge by Veggie Primer
7. Raw Peanut Butter and Jelly Collard Wrap by Lauren Vacula
8. Glamping: Easy Power Muesli by Champagne Tastes
9. Perfect Pumpkin Pudding by Garden Fresh Foodie
10. Sweet Potato Toast by It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken (*Top with oil-free hummus, mashed avocado, smashed banana, or nut butter*)
11. Lemon Vanilla Bean Rawnola by Feasting on Fruit
12. Easy Vegan Carrot Soup by Contentedness Cooking
13. Kachumber Salad by Vegan Richa
14. 5-Minute Lentil Tomato Salad by The Garden Grazer
15. Basil Mustard Salad by Eating Vibrantly
16. Detox Broccoli Soup by Contentedness Cooking
17. Chickpea Avocado Mash with Lemon by The Garden Grazer
19. Warm Asian Bok Choy and Mushroom Salad by Carob Cherub
20. Creamy Tomato, Basil, & Rice Soup by Sprinkles & Saturdays
21. Simple Spaghetti Squash by VegAnnie
22. Thai Green Curry Meatballs by Contentedness Cooking
23. Hummus Tortilla Pizzas by Dreena Burton
24. “Hungry Guy” Burgers by Jazzy Vegetarian
25. Quick Avocado Pasta by Green Evi
26. Crispy Baked Potato Wedges by Carob Cherub
27. Oil-Free Baked Portobello Fries by Fat-Free Vegan
28. Smoky Spiraled Sweet Potato Fries by Strength & Sunshine
29. Perfectly Crispy Baked Tofu by VegAnnie
30. White Bean Artichoke Burgers by A Virtual Vegan
32. Rainbow Collard Wraps by Phruitful Dish
33. Spicy “Refried” Lentil Dip by Veggies Don’t Bite
34. Frijoles de Cabo by Fried Dandelions
35. Yellow Split Pea Dip (Greek Fava) by Veggies Don’t Bite
36. Jalapeño Hummus by My Plant-Based Family
37. Crock Pot Potato Soup…A Bowl Full of Comfort by My Plant-Based Family
38. Blueberry Balsamic Mint Cauliflower Steaks by Athletic Avocado
39. Red Lentil Ragu with Zucchini and Fresh Basil by Garden Fresh Foodie
40. Oil-Free Vegan Avocado Pesto by Glue & Glitter
41. Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup by Sweets and Greens
42. Gluten-Free Baked Oat Bread from The Vegiterranean Diet
43. 2-Ingredient Blueberry Ice Cream by Vegan Heaven
44. Mango Coconut Ladoo by Vegan Richa
45. Baked Apples in Parchment by Jazzy Vegetarian
46. 5-Minute, 5-Ingredient Chocolate Gelato by Dreena Burton
47. Maple-Raisin-Date Truffles by Jazzy Vegetarian
48. Mint Chip Brownie Homemade Lara Bars by Feasting on Fruit
49. Vegan Coconut Panna Cotta by Green Evi
50. 4-Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream by The Vegan 8
The post It Doesn’t Get Easier Than These 50 Whole Food Plant-Based Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Less appeared first on Plant Based Dietitian.